What Do the Volkswagen Jetta Warning Lights Mean?
Picture the following scenario. You are on your way to work or to pick up the kids from school, and you see that there is a dashboard warning light lit up on your vehicle? What do you do when this happens? Don’t panic! There is a good chance that what you see is not an indication of a major problem. If the warning light is yellow, you will want to schedule service at Rudolph Volkswagen of El Paso at your earliest convenience. If the light is red, that is a sign to call for assistance. When it is safe to do so, pull over to the side of the road before placing the call.
To help reduce any unnecessary panic, we have created this handy guide to the Volkswagen Jetta warning lights. You will be able to know immediately if there is something seriously wrong with your vehicle or if it is something less significant. What do the Jetta Warning Lights mean? Read on to find out.
VW Jetta Warning Lights: Your Comprehensive Guide
- Antilock Braking System Malfunction: If you see this light and the brake light illuminated, it signals an issue with the antilock braking system.
- AdBlue® Level Warning: If this light is on, it might mean there is a problem with the AdBlue® system. It could also indicate that your vehicle is in need of a refill. If the wrench icon is also illuminated, it could be letting you know about a problem with the system or that it was not filled with standard AdBlue®.
- AdBlue® No Restart Warning: This red warning light indicates a major problem. It tells you when there is not enough AdBlue®. If this light is on, you will not be able to restart the car.
- Airbag Problem: If this light is on, it could mean a problem with the belt tensioning system or that the deactivation of the passenger airbag.
- Automatic Transmission Malfunction: Have a technician take a look at the transmission if this light is on.
- Brake Light Bulb Failure: This light tells you if one or more of the brake lights are not functioning as they should.
- Brake Pad Wear: If this light is on, inspect your brake pads as soon as you can. It could be a sign that they will need to soon be replaced.
- Bulb Failure: If the light is solid and yellow, it shows that a bulb is no longer working. If there is a problem with the headlight leveling or AFS, the light will flash.
- Coolant Level Low/Coolant Temperature High: When this red warning light is on, stop when it is safe to do so to check your coolant level.
- DRL: This symbol does not indicate a problem. It is simply there to let you know when your daytime running lights are on.
- DSG® Transmission Too Hot: When this red light is illuminated, stop driving as soon as you can. The transmission will need to cool down before you can hit the road again.
- Parking Brake: If this red warning light is engaged, it’s a sign of a parking brake malfunction.
- Engine Malfunction (On-Board Diagnostics): Your vehicle is in need of service if the yellow engine emission malfunction light is on.
- EPC – Exhaust Gas: When your engine is not performing as it should, you will see this yellow light. Set up a service appointment soon.
- ESP/ASR: When this yellow light is solid, the system is inactive. When there is an ESP/ASR event, the light flashes.
- Fuel Cap off or Missing: In most cases, all you have to do is tighten the fuel cap.
- Hood Open: If this red light is illuminated, you will want to stop the vehicle to check if the hood is tightly shut.
- Immobilizer: This yellow light tells you if you are not using the right key or the key is not programmed to this specific vehicle.
- BX-32 License Plate Bulb Failure: If your license plate bulbs are out, this light will let you know.
- Low Fuel Level: Your car requires gasoline when this light is illuminated.
- Oil Pressure: If a red oil can and a yellow pressure light are both on at the same time, there is no oil pressure. Turn the engine off right away.
- Oil Level Low: When your vehicle needs oil, you will see this light.
- Rain Sensor Malfunction: When you see this light, attempt to turn the ignition off and on again. If the light does not go off after doing this, you may need to have your car inspected by a mechanic.
- Shift Lock: If you see this green light, it’s letting you know it is time to apply the brake to shift the vehicle into gear.
- Steering: This yellow light indicates an issue with the steering column. If the light is solid, power steering assist has been reduced. If the light flashes, there is an issue with the electronic steering column lock. If it is red and solid, there has been a power steering assist failure. When the light is flashing and red, the electronic steering column lock is not working properly.
- Tire Pressure Low: This yellow light indicates that the TPMS is not working properly or that tire pressure is low.
- Washer Fluid Low: This yellow light is a simple reminder that it is time to add more washer fluid.
Schedule Service at Rudolph Volkswagen of El Paso
When you know the Volkswagen dash light meanings, you can have a better sense of what may be wrong with your vehicle. If you see any of the lights that indicate that service is necessary, set up an appointment at Rudolph Volkswagen of El Paso or contact us with any questions.
More From Rudolph Volkswagen of El Paso
The iconic Volkswagen Beetle is known for its outstanding fuel economy, and the 2019 model is no exception. The Volkswagen Beetle gas mileage is 26 mpg in the city and 33 mpg on the highway, so you can spend more time on the roads of Las Cruces, NM and less time at the gas station. Learn more…
Who thought a Volkswagen could tow up to 5,000 pounds? That’s what the 2020 Volkswagen Atlas SUV is capable of doing. This unique SUV has the sleek, sporty style of a European-designed car, but the power and handling to tow your gear from Las Cruces, NM to Albuquerque, NM safely. Take a look at what makes the Atlas…
For nearly 40 years, the Volkswagen Jetta has impressed drivers from all over the globe with its affordability, reliability and refinement. The recent release of the 2019 Volkswagen Jetta has been a highly anticipated event for months since it represents the debut of the model’s seventh generation. At Rudolph Volkswagen of El Paso, , we’re pleased as punch to…